POLICE have clarified a statement it issued earlier about a break-in.
The PSNI had previously said officers in Ballymena were appealing for information about a burglary at a children’s home in the Hollybank Park area of the town earlier this week.
Chief Inspector Simon Ball said: “Yesterday we were informed that a children’s home had been broken into during the evening of Tuesday 19th December.
“We believe that this was around 9pm.
“Thieves stole a number of Christmas presents and caused damage to a window, office equipment and furniture.
“This was a sickening and disgusting act, stealing Christmas presents from children.
“I am appealing to anyone who knows anything about this burglary to contact police in Ballymena on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference number 277 of 20/12/17.
“Alternatively, information can also be provided to the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is 100% anonymous and gives people the power to speak up and stop crime.
“Please call us if you know anything and stop these thieves from ruining anyone else’s Christmas.”
But now police say it WAS NOT A CHILDREN’S HOME and that if presents were stolen THEY DID NOT BELONG TO CHILDREN.
The police have issued a statement to clarify the incident and now say: “In relation to a press release issued earlier today reference a burglary at premises on Hollybank Park, Ballymena.
“Please be advised that this is NOT a children’s home. It is in fact a former children’s home which is now used as office space.
“At this time it is not clear as to whether presents have been stolen.
“Any presents in the premises were not for children.”