The man remains in a critical condition in hospital this morning with a gunshot wound to his head.
The attack took place at the Joy King Chinese takeaway on the Oldpark Road at around 5.40 pom last night.
Police said a vehicle matching the description of the suspected getaway car was found on fire a short distance away.
SDLP North Belfast MLA Alban Maginness said witnesses had told him two gunmen were involved in the attack.
Insp James Murphy has appealed for anyone with information about the attack to contact police.
“A report was made to police at around 5.40pm that a man had received a suspected gunshot wound to his head in the vicinity of the fast food takeaway.
“A blue coloured Vauxhall Astra estate car was seen to make off from the scene and a car matching this description was found on fire a short time later nearby in Torrens Gardens,” the officer said.
Mr Maginness visited the scene shortly after the attack and described the shooting as a “very frightening” incident.
“It has shocked people in the neighbourhood. It’s a quiet, residential neighbourhood and all of us had thought that this type of incident had been put to rest”
North Belfast MP Nigel Dodds described the attack as “deeply disturbing” for residents in the area.
“There is widespread shock at this shooting incident during which a man was shot in the head.
“Murderous attacks such as this are the last thing we want to see happening on the streets of North Belfast,” the DUP MP said.
Sinn Féin’s Gerry Kelly condemned the Oldpark shooting and a second, separate gun attack in north Belfast on Friday night, in which a man was shot in both legs.
“I am calling on those behind these attacks to catch themselves on, listen to the will of the local communities who want to move in and stop these actions immediately” Mr Kelly said.
Police remain at the scene and have closed the Oldpark Road.