A MAN charged with raping a woman in Belfast at the weekend cannot be identified because he is under death threat, a judge has ordered.
The 35-year-old suspect is accused of carrying out the rape on the 41-year-old woman last Saturday.
The accused appeared before Belfast Magistrates’ Court on Thursday to face one single count of rape.
A detective from the PSNI’s Rape Crime Unit which is handling the investigation said he could connect him with the alleged offence.
The accused did not apply for bail but a defence lawyer applied for reporting restrictions to stop his client being publicly named in the press and media.
Solicitor Michael Boyd said a death threat had been received which police were taking seriously.
District Judge Fiona Bagnall pointed out that it was a high test to grant anonymity to defendants.
But on the basis of a “real and immediate threat” to the accused, even though he remains in custody, she banned publication of his name and address.
The 35-year-old was remanded in custody to appear again by video-link on Thursday, July 4.