DETECTIVES investigating Union flag protests and public disorder have charged a man.
The 42-year-old man was detained on Thursday in the Newtownards area of Co Down by officers from Operation Dulcet which was set up to investigate protests and street trouble.
On Thursday night, the PSNI said the man had been charged with possessing explosives and a firearm.
He was also charged with theft following the search of a house in Ards.
The police added that he was due to appear before Bangor Magistrates Court on Friday morning.
Following his arrest police said detectives recovered a firearm, recording equipment, footage and other items.
The items were removed for further investigation.
The Operation Dulcet investigation is being headed up by Detective Supt Sean Wright who has a team of 70 detectives and support staff working under him.
More than 200 people have been arrested as part of the ‘Operation Dulcet’ probe into protests and resulting rioting in east Belfast and parts of Co Antrim.