PSNI MAKE FRESH APPEAL OVER JASON MCGOVERN MURDER

 

Picture of Jason McGovern taken hours before he died

Picture of Jason McGovern taken hours before he died

DETECTIVES from the PSNI’s Major Investigation Team (MIT) have renewed an appeal for information into the murder of Jason McGovern.

The 19-year-old from Tydavnet, Monaghan, was assaulted on two separate occasions on New Year’s Eve in Omagh, Co Tyrone.

Mr McGovern was found dead in a house in County Monaghan later that day. He had suffered a head injury.

His funeral is to take place at St Patrick’s Church, Corracrin, in County Monaghan on Monday.

Four men and a youth appeared in court on Saturday on charges of affray in connection with his death.

Appearing at Omagh Magistrates Court on Saturday were: James O’Brien, 21, from Rylagh Road, Mark Donnelly, 21, from Greencastle Road, Aaron Davis, 19, from Beattie Villas and Aaron Bradley, 18, Waterworks Road.

Also standing in the dock was a 17-year-old juvenile who cannot be named because of his age.

Mr Bradley is also charged with assaulting a friend of Mr McGovern’s.

Mr McGovern was found dead in a house in County Monaghan later that day. He had suffered a head injury.

The court heard that he had left Emyvale with five friends last Sunday night, arriving in Omagh just before 11pm.

At 2 am on Monday it is alleged he was involved in an altercation outside the Terrace Bar, when he was repeatedly punched while standing and on the ground.

The court was told that he was pulled away by a woman but was then chased by three people to a nearby car park.

One of them punched Mr McGovern in the face. He fell backwards and was unconscious for a short time.

An investigating officer said there was a large amount of CCTV footage and some defendants had made admissions to being present.

He said police were objecting to bail because there were a large number of witnesses and it would take a few weeks to speak to them all.

The officer also told the court that a suspect had since gone to Australia, but that this had been a planned trip.

The district judge said it was “an appalling situation when a young man was set upon by a large number of people” but said he would agree to bail as long as suitable addresses were found at least three miles outside of Omagh and were approved by police.

Upon this condition being met, they will be released on their own bail of £500 and two sureties of £750.

They will also be ordered not to enter Omagh, except for court appearances or doctors appointments, to be tagged and report to police three times a week.

They will also have a curfew and will not be allowed to enter licenses premises or contact witnesses in the case.

DCI Ricky Harkness appeals for information

DCI Ricky Harkness appeals for information

In making the fresh appeal, the officer leading the investigation, Detective Chief Inspector Ricky Harkness, said: “We have made a number of arrests but this investigation will continue for some time and we are asking for people’s assistance about information surrounding the events that led to Jason’s death.

“There were a large number of people socialising in the area at the time of the assault and also a number of motorists in the area of John Street and Kevlin Road.”

He appealed to any pedestrians or motorists who were in the area of the Terrace Bar or Sally O’Brien’s nightclub in John Street Omagh at about 01:55 GMT.

“(If you) witnessed the assault on Mr McGovern and his friend, or a short time later at the Weigh Inn car park at Kevlin Road and witnessed Mr McGovern being assaulted for a second time… come forward and speak to police if they have not already done so. ”

 

Share |


Comments are closed.

FacebookTwitter
BD TV
Email Us