DOGS RESCUED FROM GAS EXPLOSION

The scene of the gas leak in Derry's Bond Street on Monday night

The scene of the gas leak in Derry’s Bond Street on Monday night

TWO dogs were rescued from a gas explosion site that their owner into a human fireball.

It has emerged firefighters carrying out a search operation of the house following the explosion in Derry’s Bond Street rescued the pets which were still in the badly damaged house.

During the incident, firefighters brought an aerial appliance to the scene to operate as a water tower.

Up to 15 homes in the area were evacuated during the incident and gas cylinders on the premises had to be cooled down before residents were allowed to return to their homes.

The victim of the explosion, 42-year-old Trevor McNeill was critically injured in the gas explosion.

Eye-witnesses reported how he ran into the street from the blazing house with his clothes on fire following the blast which occurred in Bond Street in the Waterside area shortly after 10.30 pm on Monday.

Mr McNeill was rushed to Altnagelvin Hospital with severe burns and was transferred to the Intensive Care Unit of the Royal Victoria Hospital in Belfast where he was placed on a life support machine.

The injured man’s parents, Thomas and Gloria, went to see their son in Altnagelvin Hospital before visiting the scene of the explosion.

Mr McNeill said: “He is in a very bad state.

“There is the possibility of internal injuries due the the burning to his lungs and his throat. He is not breathing for himself but is breathing through a machine.”

 

Share |


Comments are closed.

FacebookTwitter
BD TV
Email Us