A TOP cop has is urging the public to help his officers crack three hate crime incidents in the South Belfast area.
In one attack, an attempt was made to burn the family out of their home but the petrol bomb failed to explode.
Said Chief Inspector Robert Murdie says: “Shortly after 9.30pm on Tuesday 13 January 2015 a resident in the Ebor Street area, reported that a masked individual had attempted to smash the front window of the property with a petrol bomb.
“The petrol bomb failed to ignite but the outer pane of glass in the property was smashed during the incident. The petrol bomb has been seized for forensic examination.
“A mother and baby were in the property in the time. This incident had the potential to kill or seriously injure and has to be condemned.
“We live in a democratic society and seeking to harm individuals in this way is not acceptable. I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed a masked individual or someone acting suspiciously in the area to contact detectives at Musgrave on 101.”
Chief Inspector Murdie adds: “The second report received yesterday related to an incident of criminal damage in Lower Rockview Street which it is believed took place on the evening of Sunday 11 January 2015.
“Two windows were smashed in a property and graffiti daubed on the property. The property was vacant, but tenants were scheduled to move in.
“In a similar type of incident, shortly after midnight on Monday 12 January 2014, residents at a property in the Monarch Parade area reported that two ground floor windows and one upstairs window had been smashed in their property and graffiti daubed on the front door.
“Again I would appeal to anyone who may have witnessed anyone acting suspiciously in these areas to contact Detectives at Musgrave on 101. Alternatively information can be provided anonymously to independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.”