Ruan Pienaar all of Ulster's points in win over Leicester

Ruan Pienaar all of Ulster’s points in win over Leicester

RUAN Pienaar scored all 22 points as Ulster fought back from a ten-point deficit to claim a superb 22-19 Heineken Cup victory over Leicester at Welford Road.

The win ensured 2012’s beaten finalists finished top of Pool 5 and clinched a home quarter-final against Saracens in the process.

Leicester had looked on course to secure the victory they needed to seal top spot when wing Niall Morris touched down for a try converted by Toby Flood on 49 minutes which put them into a 19-9 lead.

But the outstanding Pienaar responded with a try of his own just before the hour mark and then kicked his fifth successful penalty with a little over ten minutes left to inflict Leicester’s first home defeat in the competition since 2006-07.

The result means it will be the Tigers who must now hit the road for a daunting quarter-final clash against either Toulon or Clermont-Auvergne.

The hosts, backed by a vociferous 24,000 sell-out crowd,made a barnstorming start to a ferocious contest and led 6-0 after 11 minutes, but Ulster pegged them back and the sides turned round level at 9-9 at half-time.

Flood kicked three penalties but, crucially, missed the easiest of the lot when he hooked the ball wide of the left post in the 35th minute.

Pienaar kept his side in the game with three penalties of his own, the third a monster from two metres inside his own half, before fly-half Paddy Jackson was just wide with a snap drop-goal attempt in the 40th minute.

Leicester just about edged the half but chances were few and far between and their best opportunity came in the 20th minute when Graham Kitchener burst free from a ruck 40 metres out and looked certain to score – until full-back Jared Payne collared him just short of the line.

Ulster’s best chance came two minutes before the interval when they surged down the right after robbing Tigers scrum-half Ben Youngs. Winger Andrew Trimble latched onto the kick ahead and fed Payne but Trimble was adjudged to have put a foot in touch.

Flood kicked penalties in the 4th, 11th and 23rd minutes, the first and last coming after Ulster were penalised at scrums where the Tigers had a definite edge.

Pienaar replied with penalties in the 16th, 27th and 31st minutes and with Leicester losing number eight Jordan Crane and full-back Mathew Tait to injury, Ulster finished the half the stronger.

Flood restored Leicester’s lead seven minutes after the interval when he landed a 32-metre penalty after Ulster had again offended at a scrum.

And 12-9 became 19-9 two minutes later when Morris scored the first try of the match, brilliantly converted from the right touchline by Flood.

It came after great work by hooker Tom Youngs and winger Vereniki Goneva in the loose. Flood chipped down the right and Morris fended off a tackle to score in the corner, the try being awarded by the TV official.

Minutes later it was all hands to the pump for Leicester, who failed to deal with a high ball and were pinned on their own line, with Pienaar coming close to scoring before the Tigers pinched the ball and half cleared their lines.

Ulster, however, kept the pressure on and won a penalty which Pienaar kicked in the 57th minute to make it 19-12.

And they were level a minute later after another high ball. Although Leicester dealt with this one Flood’s clearance was charged down by Pienaar who followed up for an easy try before converting from the right touchline.

Pienaar then kicked another monster penalty, from a metre inside his own half, in the 69th minute to put Ulster ahead for the first time and Ulster withstood a Tigers onslaught to claim the spoils.

Share |


BD Top 5
Email Us