Little Brendan Owens' quiet home at Trinity Terrace in Lisburn, Co Antrim

Little Brendan Owens’ quiet home at Trinity Terrace in Lisburn, Co Antrim

THE young boy at the centre of a PSNI murder probe has been named as Brendan Owens.

The three-year-old was found dead at his family home in Lisburn two months ago.

Two suspects – a man and a woman – are currently in custody.

Police were called to the house at around 2.20 am on Thursday, July 4.

Initially, officers said they were treating the tragedy as a “sudden death”.

At first police said his death was “unexplained” following the results of a post mortem examination.

However, on Wednesday, following new information, detectives from the PSNI’s Major Investigation Team launched a full scale murder inquiry.

Little Brendan Owens had only recently moved into the house with his mum Michelle.

The toddler is also survived by his grandparents Elton and Carol.

It is understood Brendan attend attended a Barnardo’s run mothers and toddlers group based at St Paul’s Church off Longstone Street in Lisburn not far from the family home.

In a statement from Lisburn PSNI following Brendan’s death on July 4, a spokesperson said: “As is usual procedure in the event of any sudden or unexplained death police will carry out a full investigation. We are currently awaiting the results of tests and no further details are available at this time.”

Police say that the results of a post mortem carried out on Friday, July 4 came back as ‘inconclusive’ and further tests have been carried out.

Police said that they were continuing to treat the death as an ‘unexplained’.

However, the inquiry took a dramatic twist on Wednesday following fresh information handed to the PSNI.

The shocking news has stunned local politicians.

Lagan Valley MP Jeffrey Donaldson said: “This is very sad but shocking news. The whole community is just numb. Our thoughts and prayers go out to the this boy’s family at this time.”

A 27-year-old woman was dramatically arrested on Wednesday as the events of Brendan Owen’s death took a new twist.

Detectives swooped on Wednesday and detained the woman on suspicion of the child’s murder.

Now on Thursday, police say a 51-year-old man has been arrested in connection with the child’s unlawful killing.

The second suspect, a 51-year-old, is also in custody being questioned about the circumstances leading up to the child’s death.


Share |

Comments are closed.

Email Us