DETECTIVES hunting the dissident republican killers of suspected drug dealer Danny McKay have arrested a third man.
The suspect was arrested this morning by murder squad detectives from the PSNI’s Serious Crime Branch.
He is being quizzed at the interrogation unit at the Serious Crime Suite in Antrim.
Two other men, aged 41 and 50, are also being quizzed at the same suite. They were detained in raids in west Belfast on Friday after a massive murder hunt for the killers was launched.
The arrests were made just over 24 hours after Oglaigh na hEireann (ONH) gunmen shot the the 36-year-old dead at his house on the mainly Longlands estate in Newtownabbey, Co Antrim on Thursday night.
Detectives have an inital 48 hour period to question them before they either release them or apply to a magistrate for an extension to their detention.
On Friday, the top detective leading the investigation into the murder of drug dealer Danny McKay has branded his dissident republican killers as “ruthless”.
It is believed up to four men were involved and the father-of-one was blasted to death with at least six rounds from an automatic gun, believed to have been an assault rifle.
Belfast Daily first revealed on Thursday night that the victim had been living under the shadow of a dissident republican death threat.
We exclusively revealed that McKay was told by Oglaigh na hEireann on Tuesday of this week to leave the country within 24 hours or be shot dead.
A source told us: “He was scared but he decided he was going to be forced out of the country by the ONH.”
DCI John McVea, from the PSNI’s Murder Investigation Team (MIT) based at North Queen Street PSNI station in north Belfast, said those who killed Danny McKay were “ruthless”.
Added DCI McVea: “He was known to police, but not particularly well known, and whatever Daniel may have done in his life, nothing merits this.”
The victim was sitting along on a sofa in his living room where ONH gunmen entered his family and raked him with automatic gunfire.
Police believe and died at the scene. At least two men are believed to have been involved in the attack but sources told Belfast Daily four men were involved in the gangland style killing.
- DCI McVea said detectives are pursuing a number of lines of inquiry and said he was not sure that the gunmen could identify themselves as belonging to any one organisation.
“We are keeping an open mind as to who was involved and would appeal to anyone who knows which group or individuals were involved to contact detectives,” he added.