Murder victim Ian Ogle stabbed to death in east Belfast last Sunday night

DETECTIVES  investigating the murder of Ian Ogle in Cluan Place, East Belfast on Sunday 27th January, have arrested a 37 year old man on suspicion of murder.

He is currently in custody at the Serious Crime Suite in Musgrave PSNI station in Belfast.

A 40 year old man arrested on suspicion of murder remains in police custody.

Mourners lined Cluan Place in east Belfast for Mr Ogle’s final journey to Covenant Love Church on the Albertbridge Road ahead of his funeral service.

Mr Ogle was left to die in the street. Police are investigating involvement of the loyalist paramilitary terror group, however, the UVF has distanced itself from the attack.

Last week thousands turned out for a vigil in Mr Ogle’s memory and to condemn the barbaric murder.

Mourners at the funeral of the father-of-two have heard he died in a “courageous, fearless and selfless way”.

Pastor Kevin Sambrook said there must be no revenge for his “brutal, barbaric and savage” murder.

Mr Ogle was stabbed 11 times in the back and beaten in the street near his home.

Last night, Sunday 3 February, detectives investigating Mr Ogle’s murder revisited the scene of the savage attack one week on and spoke with people who may have been in the area at the time of the horrific attack.

Officers handed out leaflets to pedestrians in the Cluan Place, Albertbridge Road and Templemore Avenue areas and placed posters on lamp posts to encourage eye witnesses to come forward and speak with detectives.

Detective Inspector Deborah Eakin said: “Detectives from PSNI Major Investigation Team along with officers from Belfast Policing District returned to the scene of this horrific murder in an attempt to speak with people who may have been in the area when Ian was attacked.

“Shortly before 9.30pm last Sunday night (27 January), Ian’s killers parked a black Seat Leon, registration number JGZ 7406 in Langtry Court, just off Templemore Avenue.

“They then walked the short distance to Cluan Place, via Templemore Avenue and the Albertbridge Road. After the attack, they returned to Templemore Avenue – some of the killers got into the car and others dispersed on foot from Langtry Court, through the houses.

“The car was driven along Templemore Avenue, into Major Street and onto the lower Newtownards Road, before being left at Pitt Place.

“I would continue to appeal for anyone who was in the area of the Beersbridge Road, Albertbridge Road, Templemore Avenue or Lower Newtownards Road, between 8.30pm and 10pm last Sunday 27 January to come forward and speak to us. If you were driving in that area or have any dash-cam footage, please contact us.

“Anyone who has any information can contact detective on 101 referencing 1303 of 27/1/19 or by calling Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111 which is completely anonymous.”



Share |

Comments are closed.

Email Us