THREE TO FACE COURT OVER BRUTAL ASSAULT ON TEEN GIRL

POLICE have charged three people over a young female in the seafront area of Bangor around 8 pm on Friday, April 20.

A video circulating on Facebook showed the teenage girl being repeatedly punched, slapped and kicked to the face by another females.

The footage also showed a male pouring alcohol on while she was being attacked. Her face was also banged off the hard concrete ground.

The victim has sustained substantial facial injuries including the loss of a number of teeth.

A male youth has been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent and other offences after the shocking footage went viral yesterday, sparking outrage.

Early on Monday morning the PSNI said it had charged two further people in connection with the incident.

A 16-year-old girl, who was initially arrested and released on bail, was re-arrested and has been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent.

An 18-year-old woman, who was arrested on Sunday evening, has also been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent.

A male youth has been charged with grievous bodily harm with intent and other offences

All three are due to appear at Downpatrick Magistrates’ court later this morning, Monday, April 23,  for a first remand hearing.

Chief Inspector Gerry McGrath said: “It was reported to us that a 16 year old girl had been assaulted by a group of teenagers around 7.30 pm and that she had sustained a number of facial injuries.

“She has been treated in hospital but her injuries are so severe that medical staff will not be able to carry out x-rays on her face until next week.

“We have identified all of the suspects involved.

“The others are being actively sought by police.

“While we appreciate the support of the local community and understand their shock at this assault, we would ask that members of the public do not use social media as a means of progressing this investigation.

“Our officers are working hard on this case and it is important that we follow due process.

“This was a particularly vicious attack on a young girl and we would appeal to anyone who witnessed the incident on Friday evening to contact police on the non-emergency number 101, quoting reference 1465 of 22/4/18.”

North Down UUP MLA Alan Chambers branded what happened as “disgusting, murderous and barbaric”.

“It is shocking. I have never seen anything like it,” he said.

“It is just incredible to think this kind of thing is happening with people actually filming it and no one thinking of intervening.

“I’ll be seeking assurances from the police they are taking robust action to get those responsible in front of a judge as soon as possible.

“They are a danger to society.”

DUP MLA Alex Easton said: “I am totally horrified and stunned by this horrific assault on a teenage girl in broad daylight at Bangor seafront.

“I condemn this incident and wish the young girl a speedy recovery.”

Share |


Comments are closed.

FacebookTwitter
BD TV
Email Us