MYSTERY OVER SPATE OF ARSON ATTACKS ON CARS IN SOUTH BELFAST

Di Pete Mullan condemns attacks on cars in south Belfast as "needless''. FILE PIC

Di Pete Mullan condemns attacks on cars in south Belfast as “needless”. FILE PIC

DETECTIVES have rule out hate crime as a motive behind a spate of arson attacks on six cars in south Belfast at the weekend.

Senior police chiefs have described the attacks¬†as a “needless act and a waste of resources”.

Two vehicles were set alight and badly damaged at Cadogan Street on Saturday.

Vehicles were attacked at Collingwood Avenue, Damascus Street and Cadogan Street on Sunday. A car was also burned out in Delhi Street on Monday.

Detective Inspector Pete Mullan of Musgrave CID said the investigation was at an early stage but hate crime had been ruled out.

“The victims were from all areas of the community,” he said.

“There is nothing to suggest one person was responsible for the attacks.

“It is totally necessary the police and the Fire Service attend these things,” he said.

“The risk to nearby property, people in those properties and nearby cars is very serious. One car could set another car on fire and possibly houses as well.

“But it is a needless act and a waste of resources.”

The Collingwood Avenue attack happened shortly after midnight on Sunday morning, the one on Damascus Street at about 3,50 am  and the second Cadogan Street attack at about 11.30 am.

Police want anyone with any information to contact them on the non-emergency 101 number or alternatively ring Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

Share |


Comments are closed.

FacebookTwitter
BD TV
Email Us