COPS PROBE FOURTH SUSPICIOUS DEATH IN DROMORE

DCI Ricky Harkness says his team is investigating a fourth suspicious death in Dromore, Co Down

DCI Ricky Harkness says his team is investigating a fourth suspicious death in Dromore, Co Down

DETECTIVES are investigating the suspicious death of a fourth woman in Dromore, Co Down.

Officers have revealed that they are investigating the circumstances surrounding the death of Margaret ‘Peggy’ Stronge over 30 years ago.

The 58-year-old was found dead at Moss Lane on July 10, 1982.

No details have been released of how she met her death.

Police said on Wednesday evening that her death now forms part of the wider investigation into the death of three other women in the town.

The detective leading the investigating has tonight renewed his appeal for information from the public

Chief Inspector Ricky Harkness said: “My officers have advised the Stronge family of this development.

“I believe it is an appropriate and necessary step, given our current understanding of events in the town.

“We will progress the review as quickly as possible.

“I would like to repeat my appeal to the community in Dromore for information about all these deaths.

“My officers are keen to speak with anyone who may have any information which could assist our inquiries.”

“If you have any information please contact detectives on 028 3751 7329 from 9am to 10pm Monday-Friday.

“Alternatively, a message can be left outside these hours or people can contact the independent charity Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111,” added DCI Harkness.

Last week, local man Leslie Ross was charged with the murders of two women in the town.

Michelle Bickerstaff, 47, was found unconscious in the bed of her home by her daughter in April last year.

She was rushed to hospital but died the following day.

Margaret Weise, 50, died in August 2007.

A file on the death of 52-year-old Elizabeth McKee who died in December 2002 has been forwarded to the Public Prosecution Service.

Ross, 66, from Magenlis Park, faced before Armagh Magistrates’ Court last Friday.

On top of the two murder counts, Ross was also charged with gross indecency with a child and an indecent assault on a female.

Bail was refused and Ross was remanded in custody.

His solicitor said his client “vehemently and robustly” denies all the charges.

Share |


Comments are closed.

FacebookTwitter
BD TV
Email Us