NIE WARNS OF BONFIRES NEAR POWERLINES

Bonfire 'The Beast' had to be moved over fears for nearby houses in Ballyduff

Bonfire ‘The Beast’ had to be moved over fears for nearby houses in Ballyduff

NORTHERN Ireland Electricity has warned of the dangers of building bonfires close to overhead power lines.

The company said smoke and heat could cause cables to come down.

It has already received reports of some bonfires set up underneath or near electricity lines and has urged people to stay safe this summer.

The supplier added that it may need to cut power to some areas.

A spokesperson added: “Bonfire debris and flames near power lines and electricity substations are a serious risk to everyone’s safety and wellbeing.

“Our advice is simple, stay safe this summer by staying well away from overhead electricity lines and equipment

“We have had reports of bonfires being erected under or close to high voltage electricity lines. This is a very dangerous practice as the smoke and heat from bonfires can cause electrical arcing and sparking, and in some cases lines may be brought down by the fire.

“We are working with the local communities and elected representatives to highlight the dangers.

“But, in some cases, we may need to cut electricity supplies and customers in the area may be without electricity until the danger has passed and NIE emergency crews have completed any repairs and safety checks.”

Last week, a bonfire dubbed ‘The Beast’ had to be moved in Newtownabbey after residents complained it was too close to homes on the Ballyduff estate.

 

Share |


Comments are closed.

FacebookTwitter
BD TV
Email Us