DETECTIVES from the PSNI’s Major Investigation team have charged a 21-year-old man with the manslaughter of teenager Jason McGovern.
Mr McGovern, 19, of Tydavnet, died after being attacked in Omagh, County Tyrone, on New Year’s Eve. He was found dead at a friend’s house.
An 18-year-old man also arrested on Tuesday morning was released unconditionally.
Five people have previously been charged with affray in connection with the death.
Mr McGovern was assaulted on two separate occasions during a night out in Omagh.
He was found dead in a house in County Monaghan hours later. He had suffered a head injury.
Earlier this month, four men and a juvenile appeared at Omagh Magistrates Court charged in connection with the murder of teenager Jason McGovern.
The court heard a sixth suspect had left the jurisdiction to go on a trip to Australia.
Appearing in court were: James O’Brien, 21, from Rylagh Road, Mark Donnelly, 21, from Greencastle Road, Aaron Davis, 19, from Beattie Villas and Aaron Bradley, 18, Waterworks Road.
Also standing in the dock was a 17-year-old juvenile who cannot be named because of his age.
Mr Bradley is also charged with assaulting a friend of Mr McGovern’s.
The court heard that Jason McGovern had left Emyvale with five friends on New Year’s Eve, arriving in Omagh just before 11pm.
At 2 am on Monday it is alleged he was involved in an altercation outside the Terrace Bar, when he was repeatedly punched while standing and on the ground.
The court was told that he was pulled away by a woman but was then chased by three people to a nearby car park.
One of them punched Mr McGovern in the face. He fell backwards and was unconscious for a short time.
An investigating officer said there was a large amount of CCTV footage and some defendants had made admissions to being present.
He said police were objecting to bail because there were a large number of witnesses and it would take a few weeks to speak to them all.
The officer also told the court that a suspect had since gone to Australia, but that this had been a planned trip.
The district judge said it was “an appalling situation when a young man was set upon by a large number of people” but said he would agree to bail as long as suitable addresses were found at least three miles outside of Omagh and were approved by police.
Upon this condition being met, they will be released on their own bail of £500 and two sureties of £750.
They will also be ordered not to enter Omagh, except for court appearances or doctors appointments, to be tagged and report to police three times a week.
They will also have a curfew and will not be allowed to enter licenses premises or contact witnesses in the case.